Cell Phones – Your Own Personal Safety Device
Today’s cell phones can do some amazing things. Does anyone remember when cell phones just made and received phone calls? We’ve come a long way from bags and bricks. We’ve come a long way from just business people and the affluent being the only cell phone owners. Today, there are a range of people from children to seniors (and everyone in between) doing just about everything from their cell phones.
One reason cell phone growth exploded with children and seniors is personal safety. Cell phones are the best devices to use to communicate quickly, whether it’s an emergency, cry for help, or just a quick check in.
There are warnings galore to not text and drive or even to not text while walking (see Page Plus blog post below), but that doesn’t mean a cell phone is an unsafe device. It actually is quite the contrary. Your cell phone can be your own personal safety device.
Here are just a few ways your cell phone can be your own personal safety device or your child’s own personal safety device or your parent’s own personal safety device:
- 911 Emergency Call button – one touch, one call, pre-programmed.
- ICE – ICE is simply, In Case of Emergency. This is a feature on your phone that allows you to put in a short list of “quick contacts” in case of emergency. Somewhere in your contacts put ICE. This is an easy way for someone helping you to find who to contact when you are unable to do so yourself.
- Weather Alerts – Your phone can now alert you about hazardous weather conditions
- Flashlight App
- Warning Siren App
- GPS – Many phones now contain a GPS system that allows you to locate your current position and find your way.
- Camera – So many safety ideas with this feature. Some have taken a picture of their aisle identifier reminding them of where they parked their car!
- Speed dial to Mom, Dad, Sister, Brother, Caretaker, Son, Daughter, Doctor or Police.
These are just a few ideas to think of your cell phone as your own personal safety device.
Feel free to share your personal safety story here related to your mobile phone. We want to hear from you!!